10 Reasons Why I Grow Native Plants
By Karen Boniface
- 10. It soothes me when I see my garden, any time of the year.
- 9. Plants such as solomon’s seal and violets come up faithfully year after year, form a great groundcover, look graceful and keep out the weeds.
- 8. Butterflies, bees, hummingbirds and other pollinators love my garden, so there’s lots of movement and action in my garden.
- 7. Seeds and grass stalks from native plants feed the birds and provide nesting material.
- 6. No need to fertilize with chemicals, and very minimal watering required – so less work.
- 5. I can share my plants and seeds with others, further reducing our environmental footprint.
- 4. I have crickets in my garden – it’s like being at the cottage!
- 3. It keeps me connected to our natural heritage.
- 2. I’ve met many like minded, thoughtful people who like to share their knowledge, experiences and plants!
- 1. I know I’m giving back to nature